Every roof can last for decades, but there will always come a time when you need to replace it.
You have to make sure that your home is safe and free from damages all year round. Thus, your roof should be in its best state.
The roofing will protect you from any weather condition.
If there are damages like holes or cracks, maybe it’s time to invest in a new and much more durable roofing system.
Sometimes your roof may only need minor repairs, while other times, you may need to replace it.
Nonetheless, you should look for the following signs that will tell you to have a new roof:
1. Check Paper Trail
One of the first things you should do is check your home roofing’s documents and see the latest date you had your roof replaced.
Checking your files will tell you if the roof’s useful life is not yet over or when it’s already good for a replacement.
As mentioned, a roof can last for decades, but generally, you should replace it after 20 to 25 years.
Asphalt shingle roofing can last up to 25 years, while you should replace roofing installed over existing shingle layers after 20 years.
However, this may not apply when your roof has been hit with extreme weather conditions.
It’s best to request a roof inspection from roofing contractors, such as a Burnaby roofer if you’re in the British Columbia area, after such a situation to ensure that your roof isn’t damaged or developing issues.
By doing so, you’ll know whether you need a new roof or a simple repair will do.
2. Peeling and Curling Shingles
Another sign that you may need a new roof is if you’ve observed that a side of your roof shingles is starting to peel.
This is mostly due to the side getting more sun exposure.
Or if the roof shingles’ corners are curling due to low-quality shingles, even if it’s newly installed.
If that’s the case, it’s a clear sign that your roof is not protecting your home properly.
Likewise, if there are small leaks from the roof, don’t ignore that.
Ignoring small hole leaks will eventually create a bigger hole causing you more time and money for future repairs.
It’s better to act immediately if you see holes, whether big or small.
Moreover, there might be leaks if any of the following factors are present:
- Water in ceilings or walls
- Dripping sounds
- Molds seen in ceilings or walls
- Humidity is high inside the house
- Funky smells indoors
- Moss on your roof
Check your roof and other immediate surroundings to see any water source that can stay or flow through the roof.
If any of these is present, you must call your roofing contractor to check and change your roof.
4. Daylight Through the Roof Boards
Also, you should check your roof regularly to see if the roof will feel bouncy when you take a step on it.
Even though there are no visible and minor damages, the spongy feel will tell you that the roof’s material is deteriorating.
This may be due to the excessive moisture that will cause your roof to weaken.
With such, you can also check your attic for the presence of rays of light peeking through the roof board.
If these are present, you must replace your roof as soon as possible.
5. Growth of Unwanted Greens
Another sign that may be telling you to change your roof is when there is mildew growing on your walls or ceiling.
This can be a sign of leaking, condensation problems, or plumbing network issues.
Before deciding to spend on repairs, you need to check some key parts in your house.
You need to check your insulation if it’s dry, the house’s ventilation, and leaks in your plumbing fixtures.
If there’s a problem with those mentioned, you can repair this instead of replacing or repairing the whole roof.
However, if any of the following grows onto your roof, it may be a sign that the fixture has underlying issues. Thus, it may be time to replace it.
- Algae: Algae is a black and green organism that will escalate the rotting of your roof. These organisms eat the shingles of your roof, and you can find them in gutters or damp and humid roofs. In here are deposits of moisture that cause the easy spread of the algae. Algae love humid and damp roofs as this kind of temperature will help them increase.
- Mold: Mold growth causes health issues. They have a foul odor and nasty and slimy appearance that’s usually a mix of brown, black, and green colors. This also forms in places where there’s an abundant supply of moisture, such as wood or drywall.
- Moss: Due to its forest-green pigment and frizzy texture, some will not mind growing some to add aesthetic features on a roof. Even though it’s not harmful, it can deteriorate the shingles of your roof. Moss brings moisture and can seep through wood, eventually causing the shingles to rot.
- Mildew: These can usually be found in wet locations. Likewise, these powder-like spots are very dangerous to one’s health. These organisms like to thrive in damp and warm places as well. Moreover, they can spread very fast on roofs with inadequate draining.
You can observe that these organisms love damp environments.
A roof with no proper drainage system could quickly get any of these growths that will harm it.
In those areas where it always rains, the roofs should have a draining system to prevent these from growing.
With such, you can ensure that your home is safe from molds and other health hazards.
6. Style Is Outdated
Lastly, a sign that you may need to replace your roof can also be to enhance the beauty of your house.
You may want to upgrade or change your materials for your roofing system.
Or you might want to leave traditional shingles and invest in more modern styles and materials.
It would also depend if you’re renovating your house and want something to match the house’s exteriors.
With such, you can customize your roof depending on what you want and need.
Whenever you see the signs above, it’s still best to request a roof inspection to determine if the best solution is a new roof or repairing minor issues.
By doing so, you can have a roof that will protect the whole family while staying indoors.
Thus, you can be confident that you and your family are safe under your roof no matter the weather.
To ensure that your new roof will last long, hire a roofing contractor known to give high-quality services.