If you’re one of the people who are spending more time at home, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, you might be noticing some parts of your abode that need upgrading.
Fortunately, updating the design doesn’t need to be such an overwhelming task. You just need to know which areas to focus on.
Making your space feel luxurious creates a positive atmosphere for you and your household by increasing the functionality and beauty of your spaces.
It can also boost your property’s value, which is crucial to remember if you’re planning to sell your home in the future. (1)
As such, here are some design tips that can make your home look posh and sophisticated:
1. Display Some Artwork
Hanging some framed wall art is the easiest way to upgrade the look of any space.
You can display artwork in virtually any room, even the kitchen, which remains the most renovated area in a home. (2)
You can even go all out and hang an oversized piece of art on one of your living room walls to establish a focal point and liven up your area.
Large-scale pieces of artwork always draw the eye with little effort.
2. Place Your TV Strategically
Speaking of artwork, you can use paintings and other visuals to camouflage the TV in your living room.
The huge black box can hamper the luxurious feel of your space, so you might want to invest in a classic cabinet to hide it when not in use or disguise it by placing it alongside other frames.
Create a gallery wall or salon-style art arrangement around your screen to visually minimize its presence.
Although it won’t be concealed completely, the TV frame can blend in with the other artwork and distract your guests’ eyes.
Moreover, this idea can be implemented in any budget range.
3. Invest in Timeless Decor
Nothing evokes luxury than having a few timeless pieces in your rooms.
Classic decor encompasses the molding as well as other accessories like mirrors, curtains, chandeliers, and antiques.
Here’s a closer look at each fixture:
- Molding – Taking the time to have molding installed in your space shows that you’re mindful of the details in your home. For a more elegant look, choose delicate molding on your walls. You can also go for intricate crown molding or medallions on your ceiling.
- Gilded mirrors – If you’re living in a rented space and can’t modify the structure of your apartment, you can opt for gilded mirrors. Position them against a wall or hang them. This accessory also adds richness and can boost the perception of the proportions of a room.
- Full-length curtains – One rule you should remember when shopping for curtains is to never buy ones that are too short. Before you go to the store, take the time to measure your windows. You could also make your own at an even lower cost by purchasing a sheer, lightweight fabric and having it customized by your tailor.
- Chandeliers – Light fixtures have the innate ability to draw people’s eyes. Why not take advantage of that by investing in chandeliers to make a grand statement? They don’t even have to be humongous since a lot of vintage-inspired models are now available in smaller sizes for those with limited space.
- Antiques – Liven up your rooms by incorporating antique pieces. They have a certain charisma that no modern-looking product can match. You can go for large lamps, racks, mirrors, or rocking chairs, as well as small-scale sculptures, wall sconces, or picture frames.
4. Dress Up Your Space With Textiles and Textures
Another way to make your room more luxurious is to use vintage or antique textiles for throw pillows or as covering for smaller pieces such as seat cushions or stools. Doing so can give your living room a unique look.
The rare fabrics will both add a refreshing element to your room and personalize it.
Moreover, to increase the coziness factor, drape a textural throw over a sofa or chair.
Putting a lot of thought into the combination of materials and textures will provide your space with a custom-designed, luxurious appearance.
To build a dynamic and welcoming space, incorporate metals, glass, wood, textiles, and leather items into your rooms.
5. Accentuate With an Interesting Shape or Silhouette
You can become too focused on keeping things minimalistic and reducing visual clutter, which can make your space feel boring.
By adding an element with an unusual shape or distinctive silhouette, you can keep your room from being just a sea of straight lines and circular forms.
For instance, a coffee table or side chair with unique shapes and materials can feel like a work of art in your room.
These add an unexpected and purely artistic element to your design, regardless of your budget.
6. Upgrade Your Lighting
Home lighting includes wall lamps, chandeliers, and other lighting fixtures. Essentially, these fixtures illuminate the various rooms of your abode.
They’re a vital part of any residence because they can help boost your mood by promoting a warm and bright ambiance rather than making your space appear gloomy and unappealing.
Inadequate lighting can cause family and friends to avoid some area subconsciously and make a space feel cramped.
Having big windows can bring in a healthy amount of sunlight, which can help create a relaxed and cheerful atmosphere.
This is because it provides natural lighting to the interiors of a home.
However, sunlight might not reach all corners of your residence, or it may not always be available.
To fill in the gaps, you must be strategic about your lighting and choose them strategically.
As previously mentioned, chandeliers can instantly elevate the look and feel of any room.
Lamps can also become focal points while ensuring that an area receives ample lighting.
You can even decorate your home with candles for a luxurious and relaxing vibe.
Making your home feel luxurious doesn’t have to break the bank. At the same time, it can improve your quality of living and boost your property’s value.
Hanging pieces of art are the most straightforward way to elevate the look and feel of any room.
Paintings and images can even camouflage your TV and distract your guests’ eyes.
Investing in timeless decor, incorporating textiles and textures, and accentuating your rooms with eye-catching objects can also make your home feel luxurious. Lastly, upgrading your lighting can bring about instant results at half the time and cost.
- “Will Your Home Renovations Pay Off?” Source: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/mortgages-real-estate/08/add-value-to-real-estate.asp
- “33 Surprising Home Improvement Trends & Statistics In 2021”, Source: https://kitcheninfinity.com/33-home-improvement-industry-statistics/