Fancy an appetizer that combines the rich flavors of chicken and ham? Look no further here we will guide you through the process of creating delicious croquettes packed with tender chicken and flavorful ham.
- 1 Ingredients
- 2 Instructions
- 3 Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 4 Secrets for Perfect Croquettes:
- 5 Variations
- 6 Accompaniments
- 7 How Long Can Chicken and Ham Croquettes Be Stored?
For the croquettes, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely shredded
- ½ cup cooked ham, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir continuously until a smooth paste forms. This mixture is known as a roux.
Gradually pour in the milk while stirring the roux. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth.
Add the salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Mix well to combine the flavors.
Add the shredded chicken and chopped ham to the sauce. Stir until the meat is evenly coated with the sauce. Cook for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool.
Once the mixture has cooled, shape it into small oval-shaped croquettes using your hands.
Place the croquettes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Chilling the croquettes will help them hold their shape during frying.
In separate bowls, place the beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Dip each croquette into the beaten egg, making sure it is fully coated.
Then, roll the croquette in the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to ensure they stick to the surface.
Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Carefully place the coated croquettes in the hot oil, frying them until they turn golden brown on all sides.
Remove from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Have you heard of Minute Rice’s cheesy chicken and rice recipe? If you’re looking for a delicious main dish to complement your croquettes, this recipe is a must. It combines the creaminess of the cheese, the tenderness of the chicken and the goodness of the rice into one satisfying dish.
Check out the cheesy chicken and rice recipe, for the full recipe. Prepare this delicious dish along with your croquettes for a complete meal that is sure to impress your family and friends.
Secrets for Perfect Croquettes:
- Ensure that the chicken and ham are finely shredded and chopped to achieve a smooth texture in the croquettes.
- Chilling the croquette mixture before shaping and frying them will help maintain their shape during cooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the frying pan or skillet when cooking the croquettes. Fry them in small batches to ensure they cook evenly and become crispy.
- Cheese Variation: For an extra burst of flavor, add some grated cheese to the croquette mixture before shaping and frying. Cheddar, mozzarella, or Gruyère cheese work well.
- Vegetable Variation: Incorporate finely chopped vegetables like carrots, peas, or bell peppers to the croquette mixture for added color and nutrients.
- Spicy Variation: Add a kick of heat by including finely chopped jalapeños or a dash of cayenne pepper to the croquette mixture.
- Dipping Sauces: Serve the croquettes with a selection of dipping sauces such as tangy barbecue sauce, creamy garlic aioli, or spicy sriracha mayo.
- Salad: Pair the croquettes with a refreshing green salad tossed in a light vinaigrette to balance out the richness of the dish.
- Rice: The croquettes go wonderfully well with the “cheesy chicken and rice” recipe mentioned earlier. The creamy and cheesy rice will complement the flavors of the croquettes perfectly.
How Long Can Chicken and Ham Croquettes Be Stored?
When it comes to preserving the deliciousness of your homemade chicken and ham croquettes, storage is key. Proper storage ensures that the croquettes remain safe to eat and maintain their crispy texture. Here are some guidelines on how long you can store your croquettes:
Once the croquettes have been cooked and cooled, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can typically be refrigerated for up to 3 to 4 days. It’s important to let them cool completely before placing them in the refrigerator to prevent condensation, which can make them soggy.
If you want to extend the shelf life of your chicken and ham croquettes, freezing is a great option. To freeze the croquettes, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place it in the freezer until they are firm. Then, transfer the frozen croquettes to a freezer-safe container or freezer bags, making sure to remove as much air as possible.
When stored properly in the freezer, chicken and ham croquettes can stay fresh for up to 2 to 3 months. To thaw the frozen croquettes, simply transfer them to the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, you can reheat them in the oven or a skillet to regain their crispiness.
While the croquettes may still be safe to eat beyond the recommended storage times, their texture and flavor may start to deteriorate. It’s best to consume them within the suggested time frames for the best eating experience.
The combination of chicken and ham in these croquettes creates a harmony of flavors that will leave your taste buds satisfied. By following the simple steps outlined in this recipe, you can create crispy and delicious croquettes that are perfect as an appetizer or a main course.
Don’t forget to check out the cheesy chicken and rice recipe from Minute Rice to complete your meal. With its cheesy goodness and tender chicken, it’s a recipe that is sure to please everyone at the table.
So, gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to enjoy the delightful experience of making and savoring these fantastic croquettes.
Leave a Reply