An ideal garage door is a door that opens and closes as soon as you want it, it is noiseless, and most importantly, it moves smoothly and has even operations.
A garage door that doesn’t fit even one of the above criteria is a cause for concern.
Mostly, a garage door that lacks maintenance has glitchy, uneven, and noisy movements, however, in often cases, these symptoms point to a major underlying problem that can evolve into a major problem anytime, sometimes even in-between operations, thus leading to a total breakdown of your garage door.
Why Does a Garage Door Become Off-balanced?
To fix an off-balance garage door, first, you need to understand the reason behind this malfunction.
Usually, the tensions springs and extension springs are in charge of raising and lowering the garage door evenly and smoothly.
However, due to a lack of maintenance, these springs can become worn out, causing the door to become off-balanced.
An off-balance door is a sign of one of the two things:
- Either the springs are not able to counterbalance the weight of your garage door due to lack of tension,
- Or that the springs are under extreme pressure and are about to give way.
Whatever the case is, timely fixing an off-balanced garage door is of the utmost importance.
If you continue operating such a door, you could end up damaging your garage door opener due to the additional strain it’ll have to endure.
Furthermore, if unresolved, An Off-balanced Garage Door Can Break, and possibly harm you and your loved ones.
How to Identify an Off-balanced Garage Door?
Various tell-tale signs indicate that your garage door is off-balance. Try operating your garage door and observe for the following signs:
- Unusual grinding or screeching sounds from a moving garage door
- The door closes with a considerable ‘thud’ sound
- An unusually long time is required for your garage door to fully open or close.
- The door doesn’t open at all
Usually, the above signs are enough to indicate if your garage door is off-balance. However, if you are still unsure, you can perform the following garage door balance test to further prove your suspicions:
- Close your garage door from inside the garage.
- Release the red emergency rope to manually detach your garage door opener.
- Manually open your garage door halfway through and step aside. If your garage door is able to remain open in that position without any support, it is perfectly balanced.
- Next, try lifting your garage door as much as you can to achieve a fully open position and step aside. If the door rises slightly, it is perfectly balanced.
- However, in the above cases, if the door isn’t able to retain its position without any support and snaps or drifts shut instead, it is a clear sign that you have an off-balanced garage door on your hands.
How to Fix an Off-balanced Garage Door:
If you have performed the balance test and are certain that your garage door is off-balanced, then there is only one thing that you should do to fix it:
Call a professional garage door expert immediately. Remember to never attempt fixing an off-balance garage door on your own.
Why Should You Never Attempt Fixing an Off-balanced Garage Door?
Fixing an off-balanced garage door is a dangerous feat that requires technical expertise and the right equipment.
As a homeowner, you should never even operate your garage door, let alone fix it.
This is due to the intricate and dangerous technicalities involved in repairing an off-balanced garage door that can cause more harm than good if attempted unskillfully.
Inexpert attempts at fixing an off-balanced garage door can cause damage to various adjacent parts of your garage door while also endangering you and your loved ones.
Why Call Elite Garage Door & Gate Repair?
Fixing an off-balance garage door requires the removal and replacement of extension and torsion springs so that they can continue managing the smooth operations of your garage door.
While removing extension springs to fix an off-balance garage door, sometimes the spring breaks and becomes a hazardous projectile.
If you aren’t aware of how to safely remove an extension spring, you can suffer a serious injury.
The professionals at Elite Garage Door & Gate Repair are well equipped with the right tools and equipment.
They possess the knowledge and strategies that allow them to safely replace the springs of a garage door.
Moreover, if any other component of your garage door has been affected by the malfunctioning springs, our skilled technicians can identify and fix that too before it can evolve into a major problem.
Why put yourself at risk when professional garage door technicians are just one call away!
Hire the proven experience at Elite Garage Door & Gate Repair and take care of your off-balance garage door safely, affordably, and reliably.