You’ve probably bought a new vehicle from overseas or are considering moving to a new state.
But since you can’t drive it yourself, you’ll have to hire a car shipping company to transport it for you.
While this might sound pretty straightforward, it’s actually more complex than you think.
For starters, you have to choose between flatbed, open or closed transport.
Most companies will also let you choose between door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal shipping options.
If you don’t have a problem picking up the vehicle at the port, terminal-to-terminal shipping might be right for you.
But if you want a little more convenience, door-to-door shipping is the best option.
If you’re thinking of going with the latter, read on as we dive into the intricacies of door-to-door car transport—from what it is, how it works, and the benefits it provides.
What is Door-to-door Transport?
In door-to-door transport, the shipping company picks up your vehicle and delivers it to your home as close as it can legally and safely get.
This means your vehicle can be picked up and offloaded at your home as long as the driver can access your street or driveway.
However, numerous road restrictions across specific streets prohibit large vehicles like flatbed trucks from using them.
Additionally, these vehicles require a lot of space to maneuver, so some streets may be inaccessible. In this case, you can pick a more accessible location like a nearby parking lot.
Door-to-door shipping is generally costlier than terminal-to-terminal shipping, mainly due to the added convenience.
Your location also plays a significant role in determining shipping costs since longer distances usually require more time and fuel, thereby driving up the total transport costs.
How Does Door-to-door Transport Work?
Door-to-door shipping services provide the utmost convenience by ensuring your vehicle is picked up and dropped off at a location of your choosing.
However, you should note that this doesn’t necessarily mean that your vehicle will literally be delivered right outside your door.
It might be, but in most cases, residential streets are inaccessible to large trucks.
Here are the steps to take when using door-to-door transport services:
- Get a quote. If you already have a shipping company in mind, you can use the shipping calculator on the company’s website. While you’re at it, be ready to provide some basic information like the type of car you want to transport and the shipping option you prefer (choose door-to-door transport)
- State pickup and delivery locations. You’ll need to state the vehicle’s current location and where you want it delivered. If the shipping company operates in those areas, you can proceed to the next step.
- Choose your pickup and delivery dates. For added convenience and practicality, you should book your pickup and delivery date at least two weeks in advance.
- Inspect your vehicle. On the pre-determined pickup date, you will meet the company’s driver, after which you will both inspect the vehicle for any pre-existing damages. The driver will load the vehicle on their truck and deliver it to your preferred destination.
- Delivery. As per most companies’ regulations, the driver will contact you directly when they arrive at the delivery location. If the delivery location is in front of your house or driveway, ensure that the driver has enough room to offload the vehicle.
- Final inspection. After delivery, you and the driver will conduct another inspection on the vehicle for any damage that might have occurred in transit. If everything is okay, you’ll sign a bill of lading to complete the transaction.
Benefits of Door-to-door Transport
Maintain Legal Compliance
In some states in the U.S., it is illegal to drive a vehicle straight out of the dealership. You first have to register it with the DMV.
Hence, you’ll need to use a shipping service to get your vehicle where it needs to be without breaking the law.
You Don’t Need to Mess Up Your Schedule
If you had to pick up your vehicle and drive it all the way back, that would affect your schedule drastically.
Using door-to-door shipping services takes this workload off your hands, allowing you to focus on other important matters.
Eliminate the Possibility of Breakdowns and Accidents
A typical used car generally requires some maintenance and repairs before its safe for driving. Using a transport service allows you to get it to the mechanic before getting behind the wheel yourself.
The Bottom Line
Door-to-door transport services are the most convenient auto transport option.
With a reliable company, you can kick back and wait as your vehicle is picked up and delivered at your most convenient location.
And although it might be costlier than terminal-to-terminal transport, its added benefits are worth the extra dollar.